- England beat Iran 6-2 in the opening match of Group B of the 2022 World Cup at the Khalifa International Stadium.
- Even before the break, Jude Bellingham (35′), Bukayo Saka (43′) and Raheem Sterling (45’+1) ensure clear conditions.
- In the second match of Pool B, the USA will take on Wales starting at 8:00 p.m. (live on SRF Zwei and streaming).
Stoppage time in the first half was 14 minutes. The main reason for this was bitter for the Iranians. Goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand and defender Majid Hosseini collided with their heads in the 8th minute. While the defender was able to continue, the goalkeeper was left to take care of himself for a few minutes. After a brief attempt to play on, he was eventually replaced by Hossein Hosseini after 19 minutes.
Beiranvand in hospital care
Iranian goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand was hospitalized after the game on suspicion of “severe concussion” and “broken nose”. This was announced by the coach Carlos Queiroz in the press conference after the 2:6 (0:3) against England.
The substitute goalkeeper could not counter the English dominance. Instead, he had to step back three times during an attacking England fireworks display that lasted almost a quarter of an hour. In the 32nd minute, Harry Maguire’s header hit the crossbar. Subsequently, the “Three Lions” proved extremely efficient:
- 35. Minute: Luke Shaw crosses from left, Jude Bellingham heads in his first international goal to make it 1-0.
- 43. Minute: After a corner kick, the ball falls in front of the feet of Bukayo Saka. The 21-year-old does not hesitate and shoots the ball under the crossbar.
- 45.+1 Minute: Just 46 seconds after the restart after the second goal, the ball goes back into the net. Harry Kane crosses into the penalty area, Raheem Sterling converts straight from the air.
Taremi with Iranian reflections
Even a triple substitution by Iranian coach Carlos Queiroz after the half-time break changed little of what was happening on the pitch. England remains dominant, Iran mostly overwhelmed. Mehdi Taremi put the exclamation point for Asians. In the 65th minute he defeated Jordan Pickford from a few meters after a good pass. And in stoppage time -in minute 103- he scored a penalty.
Despite the consolation goal, there was no longer any tension as Saka had just scored his second goal to make it 4-0. And when Marcus Rashford, who had come on as a substitute not a minute earlier, made it 5-1 in the 71st, the clear balance of power was restored. Three contacts with the ball and a quick change of direction were enough to unbalance the Iranian defense.
Another substitute, Jack Grealish, was on the scoreboard in the 90th minute before Taremi’s penalty ended an entertaining game. England celebrate a clear opening victory: Iran will clearly have to improve.
Here is how to proceed
Starting at 8:00 p.m., the USA and Wales will play the second match of Pool B. The second round of the group stage begins on Friday. Iran faces Wales (11:00 CEST), England plays the United States (20:00 CET).